Sometimes wisdom comes all too late and blows fierce, hits you square in the face, the full-on force of I wish I had only known. When life teaches hard lessons and experience is not kind, we bear the weight of the now knowing and seek His face in the raging storm.
Other times wisdom comes softly, aged over months and years, the gradual piecing of bits and scraps that form a warm covering of His goodness. In these moments, wisdom is a quiet companion, whispering grace as experience fades into memory, washing smooth the rough edges of our days.
To shine for Christ in a dark world, I must seek His goodness and give thanks ~ this eucharisteo ~ in the good and the bad, in stormy seas as much as sunny skies. The light of His love shines fair and friendly when warm breezes blow, but it shines brightest and purest when it pierces blackened clouds over churning waves.
I want a lighthouse faith, the kind that anchors itself firmly on the rock, secure in the storm, penetrating murky tempests and blinding rain with the hope of Christ.
A faith like that asks me to seek His love where it may be found ~ in all things, at all times. In the rough, gritty grace and the spring-morning grace, in heartache and loss as well as success and pleasure.
I have known both graces, and I’m slowly learning to say ~ in all things ~
“It is well; it is well with my soul”.
Dark can give birth to life,
suffering can deliver grace,
the ugly can be beautiful.
God transfigures everything
for His glory.
~ Ann Voskamp
My 1,000 Gifts ~ #197-215
197. happy dog tails that wag belonging
198. warm tea in the evening
199. a quiet space to write and think and dream
200. the amazing gift of a new opportunity to follow my calling, beautiful Sisters who run hard after Christ ~ how they bless me
201. the fellowship of friends, some old, some new, to encourage and uplift
202. dark, brooding days to better appreciate fair weather
203. long-distance phone calls, how distance grows small when hearts keep time together
204. a warm day in January, playing outside in the sunshine
205. the crazy-good love for my kids and their easy letting go of the day’s wrongs
206. golden honey on biscuits warm from the oven
207. the way his stubble brushes my cheek when we kiss goodbye
208. how her head still fits the crook of my neck when she’s tired
209. a surprise gift, so unexpected, to encourage me and help me chase my dreams
210. honest answers, even if they don’t come easy, and those who love me enough to give them
211. new favorite music, the soundtrack of my days
212. his dedication to us, how hard he works to provide
213. readers who listen and nod and encourage and discuss, you bless me so
214. a chance to experience all over again His goodness and love
215. the blood of Christ, poured out for all, grace upon grace
~ ~ ~ ~ ~
What bountiful blessings has He given you?