The rain poured here last week. Not a gentle spring shower or a polite drink of water for the lawn, but a good-old-fashioned Texas gully-washer.
I knew the day’s forecast called for rain but decided the sky looked fair enough, so out we went. The sun was shining through the clouds as we brought out toys and set up our “picnic” in the back yard. Then suddenly a fierce wind blew in, bringing noticeably cooler air and the promise of rain. I gathered the kids like a mother hen counting her chicks, and we leapt inside just as giant drops began pounding the ground.
Isn’t that the way life goes sometimes? We make plans and go about our business, oblivious to the warning signs, willing the day to go as we’ve planned. We think we know best, that we can handle it all on our own, yet we’re surprised by how quickly things can change, astonished by troubles even though Jesus Himself promised we’d have them.
I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.
~ John 16:33 NIV (emphasis mine)
The thunderstorms hung around for two dreary days, soaking everything in their path, then receded as quickly as they had come. Now the sun glows brightly once again, warming plants and spirits alike as I continue counting the evidence of His love and grace…
My 1,000 Gifts ~ #280-295
280. healthy kids
281. protection from harm when tornadoes struck in the area (oh thank you, Lord)
282. soft grass underfoot, and warm weather to enjoy it
283. the tiny flashlight that is helping my son overcome his fear of the dark, and my mom who gave us the idea (thanks, Mom!)
284. baby curls
285. movie night with my girlfriends and laughing until your sides ache
286. genuine apologies all around after a misunderstanding
287. hazelnut creamer. amen.
288. the strawberry blond color of my son’s hair, half my husband’s and half mine
289. a new job for my husband (he starts next week!)
290. joy found through obedience
291. my daughter’s invitation to join National Junior Honor Society (so proud!)
292. warm blankets and good books
293. the gift of connecting with others, how we divide our burdens and multiply our joy
294. an outpouring of love from friends and strangers alike after opening up about depression
295. grace to stand through whatever storms this life holds, all because of Him
~ ~ ~ ~ ~
What are your blessings this week?
I’d love to hear your story in the comments!
If you’re reading via email or in a reader, click the title of this post
to hop over and join the conversation!